Making headlines from the Commonwealth Games in Australia, Thiwanka Ranasinghe secured Bronze and qualified for the semi-finals beating Berry Namri of Vanuatu in the Men’s 46-49kg Boxing Quarterfinals earlier today. Prasad Wimalasiri in Group B of the Men’s Long jump qualification round, covered a distance of 7.84m and was placed 5th in his group, 10th overall. He also made it to the all-important finals scheduled tomorrow.
Meanwhile Rumeshika Rathanayake finished second clocking 23.43secs in the women’s 200m heats. She was well and truly through to the semi-finals scheduled tomorrow, 11th of April.
Where we are now
While Anusha is to face Mery Com tomorrow, Ranasinghe will face Galal Yafai of England in the semis on the 13th of April. Meanwhile, Rumeshika in her 200m run better her previous seasonal best of 23.62secs. She was less than a second short of her personal best 2.40s. Dina Asher-Smith finished first in 23.28s. Maddy Coates of Australia Antonique Strachan of the Bahamas came 3rd and 4th.
Rumeshika Rathnayake will be in action tomorrow.
To get anywhere close to a podium finish, Prasad Wimalasiri will have to better his personal best of 7.91m in the Men’s Long Jump event. Henry Frayne of Australia covered a distance of 8.34m in the qualifying rounds.
Moreover, Sri Lanka did well in the table tennis events earlier today.
- Erandi Warusawithana beat Cynthia Kwabi of Ghana in Group 3 Women’s Singles
- Ishara Madurangi beat Ruqayyah Kinoo of Mauritius in Group 7 Women’s Singles
- Buwaneka Jayasinghe beat Shakquan Hodge of Saint Kitts and Nevis in Group 10 Men’s Singles
- Hansani Kapugeekiyana beat Hareem Anwar Ali of Pakistan in Group 10 Women’s Singles
- Imesh Ranasinghe beat Andre Mitchell of St. Vincent and the Grenadines in Group 12 Men’s Singles
- Rohan Sirisena beat Adrian Rollins of Bahamas in Group 15 Men’s Singles
Sri Lanka won the Round of 64 in Badminton against Uganda and Ghana. Niluka Karunaratne beat Christopher Eynon in the Men’s Singles Round of 64.
/ 1 year ago
0Shares Share on Facebook Tweet 0Shares Share on Facebook Tweet